Thursday, November 02, 2006

Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas = 5 to 10 pounds?

Everybody loves the holidays and Thanksgiving will be here in the next 3 weeks and you know what that means, turkey. There is a claim that throughout these three holidays (Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas) an average person gains 5 to 10 pounds. This claim very well makes sense. The candy during Halloween, the massive feast on Thanksgiving Day, plus the cookies, candy, and yet another feast during Christmas, seems like this could be reasonable, doesn't it?

However, studies show that most people do not gain as much as claimed. It's actually predicted that an aver person gains 1 to 2 pounds throughout the holidays. During a study in 2000, statistics show that about 75% gained about one pound, and only 10% gained over five pounds. Most of the people in the study that gained only one pound were mostly active.

So enjoy your holidays and during the upcoming festivities, eat your candy, eat your turkey and eat your cookies, because I know I will have my share, but remember to not just lounge on the couch and watch football and basketball, but also stay active and not be in that 10%.

1 comment:

Nick Springer said...

I have just made the baseball team, and we are about to start conditioning. I am sure that i will be eating as much as I can because I will be working it, plus much more, off this winter. I can't wait for Thanksgiving!