Saturday, March 12, 2005

Will China's economy catch up with America by 2046?

This news reported that Chinese economy may surpass or approach America economy in 2046. They had this estimation based on China has 7% long-term economic growth, and post-industrialized countries have 2.5% long-term growth rate. Also government provided reasonable analysis. The problems like land shortages, the overgrowth of fixed assets and inflation had been alleviated by Chinese government last year. These will help China go to another phase of economic growth.

Sometimes, I can find the articles about China surpass America in Chinese websites. Every time, I read it, I don’t feel very good. Imagine that if every Chinese can have the lives like American people have now, what will happen? How much oil will be left for people to use in the future? How much clean water can be left for our children? Can we still see blue sky? I am not sure if my thinking is right or wrong. No matter what, China will not stop developing. As a Chinese, I will still happy about the economy growth in China. At the same time, I hope the people in all counties can work together to protect our natural resources. I hope the economists made this analysis according to the living standard. Because the measurement of living standards considers the pollution problems.

By the way, here is a website I want to recommend to the students in Econ 372 class. It is a very marvelous website for our papers. Hope it can help you guys!
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/us.html

No comments: