Sunday, October 01, 2006

Cinema Prices Out of Control!

A night at the movies isn't cheap. It is expensive enough for a couple out on a date to attend a movie without the popcorn, candy, or a drink. Therefore, taking ones whole family out for the night is completely out of the question unless you're one that makes the big bucks.

The movie theater in Marietta charges $8.00 per ticket for adults and $5.75 for senior citizens and children. Isn't that a bit much? Two people going to watch a movie would be better off if they waited a little while and just bought the movie. This way they would be paying $16.00 for a lifetime rather than for a couple hours.

Ticket prices are high all over the world. In New York City tickets have reached a record high for the city at $10.25 a ticket. Denmark also has high rates for a night of fun. It leads the world with an average ticket price of $12.42 per ticket.

Not only are the ticket prices outrageous, so are the concession prices. At some theaters the cheapest drink is $4.00 with no free refills.

Movie prices are way out of control all over the world. If companies don't start lowering their prices, the movie business will drop significantly, because people won't be able to afford to go.

3 comments:

katiedickson said...

I think the last time I actually paid for a movie ticket was back before the price topped over $7 each. I agree completely with what is being said within this article and the previous comments. Like Mallory, I use discount or passes if I ever even go to the cinima. Here in Marietta, I know our theatre is struggling to stay open because the number of customers/viewers has decresed so greatly in the past year. More and more people are turning to DVDs and away from Cinima productions. It really comes down to homemade popcorn as opposed to theatre popcorn, a HUGE screen or a big screen, and an upright, unadjustable chair or a lazy boy. I know where I would prefer to be watching my favorite flicks!

Nick Springer said...

This is a big topic for me. I used to go to the movies every weekend. In my hometown the price of a movie is $5.00. The prices are going up though, and now it is outrageous. I haven't been to a movie in about four months. Why go to a movie when you can rent one for less money and have your friends over and keep it for a week. You could also buy most movies for less than watching a movie. If the movie place in Marietta would drop their prices to $5.00, there would be a much higher number of movie watchers. With the lower prices the new viewers would be able to buy the food that would not have been bought before, so they would still make the same amount of money, if not more.

Nick Springer said...

I agree that the prices of movies are out of control. In my hometown a movie costs $5.00. With this price I could go to the movies every weekend. I haven't been to a movie in about four months now. I would rather rent a movie for a week for about four dollars. That way I can have friends over, have cheep snacks, and take bathroom breaks. You could ever buy most movies when they come out on DVD for less than eight bucks. If the movie place in Marietta would drop their prices to five dollars; there would be a lot more people watching movies. Say 15 people watch a movie for 8 dollars. Say 20 people watch a movie for 5 dollars. There is a 20 dollar profit difference for the movie place, but those 20 people that paid 5 dollars would be able to buy more snacks and the movie place would make more money. Why are econimists not talkin to these people? They're missing out on a lot of money.