Thursday, May 04, 2006

Pop taken out of public schools?

This article tells about how they are trying to take all of the pop out of public schools. They are trying to cut the calories to slim down the obesity rates in the US. In doing this, they will replace the pop machines with juice, milk, lowfat items and diet pops. I can agree with this to a degree. I like how we are taking the iniciative to cut down the obesity rates, I do not think that just by pop is going to decrease it so much. There are kids who get meals and with their meals comes milk. The kids are paying extra for pop. Also, if they are going to take pop out, they need to take it out completely. Diet pop may have less calories, but does have higher health problems than regular pop as far as heart and blood problems. I believe that the kids who are obese is caused by how they are fed at home and if their parents do not care, then they will not care and might just pack their lunch more often with pop to drink. I think that in doing this, it may shift the obesity curve down, however, I do not think it will be as significant.

No comments: