Monday, March 06, 2006

Intel Aims to Get Back on Track

"You're just paying for the brand name". We have all heard that expression once or twice before, and many of us have purchased items solely on the brand name. I was skimming the internet and found the above article about Intel and their strive to get back onto track in the world of computer processing.
The article discusses how Intel is introducing its new chips for business computers, laptops, and desktops. They are going to unveil their new design at their twice-annual developers' forum in San Francisco later this week. This introduction is just coming of the news that there first quarter revenue will be much lower than they have previously thought.

When I was reading this article, I was thinking about my own personal computer. When purchasing my computer, I decided not to go with an Intel Processor, but instead decide to get the AMD 64bit processor. Many people are not familiar with AMD and their products, but they should be. There processors are the wave of the future. They have already unveiled a chip with two processing cores, and next year are expected to unveil a chip with four processing cores. Although many people do not know who AMD is, the company had nearly 22% of the global desktop market at the conclusion of 2005.
Then I began to think, why are people still paying for the overpriced (in my opinion) Intel chips when there are other companies that produce higher quality chips, and the consumer gets a better deal on the purchase? So I began to think, what will it take for people to get out of the trend of just buying a product based on the brand name? In my opinion I think people fall into this trap, due to their lack of knowledge concerning new technology, which is something that needs to be changed.


Also, how do you think the introduction of the Intel Processor into the Macs will affect their sales and competition with AMD?

No comments: