Sunday, February 12, 2006

Smoking Ban?

No it shouldn't be completely banned, but it should be greatly controlled. There are many places that are posting signs throughout their facilities that say something to the effect of by order of the state, smoking is prohibited. Over the summer, I had a job at our local country club, working the locker room. I noticed one day that the ashtrays that had previously been anchored into the wall had been removed and the holes filled with putty. I was immediately surprised that smoking was not allowed, but was relieved when I didn't get that burning sensation inside of my nostrils from the various insundry types of tobacco smoke. SOme might say that I could've found another job if the smoke got to me enough, but what to say that the other job didn't allow smoking either? Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't mind smoking if it wasn't harmful. But the fact remains that it is harmful. Not only to the smoker, but also to those who don't smoke, and even more so to those of us who don't smoke. So smoking; yes it's a bad habit, but if someone wants to smoke, there's plenty of room outdoors. Also, there is always something better to spend the $4-5 on to help support the economy. If you want to know more, visit Truth's website.

2 comments:

steph said...

I agree with you, that smoking is a hazard to not only the people who actually smoke, but those people who do not smoke and just happen to be in the vacinity of it. There are plenty of opportunities for smokers to take a break outside and smoke there, instead of putting others at risk in inclosed spaces. Yes, smoking is a personal choice and preference, but so is breathing clean air for those people who want to live longer lives.

Anonymous said...

The arguments around smoking bans crack me up. I hear people say things like, "I agree with you, that smoking is a hazard to not only the people who actually smoke, but those people who do not smoke and just happen to be in the vacinity of it." I hear others say there is empirical evidence to prove the risk. This is blatantly not true. The only study truly done to say second hand smoke causes problems is one done by the EPA. It is where the commercials get the "3000 people die every year from second hand smoke." The problem is, the study was found by a judge to be false and censured by congress for its lack of validity. Other studies have been buried that prove there is no statistical risks associated with second hand smoke. In fact, one done by the WHO says that children of smokers have a decreased risk of lung cancer!!!! So, learn the facts and stop spouting what the media and insurance companies and militant anti smoking groups want you to believe.