Sunday, February 12, 2006

Mardi Gras Returns to the Big Easy

The Mardi Gras celebration returning to New Orleans this year should turn into a huge economic boost for the area. It is awesome that residents and local organizations are poking fun at the situation, even if it is at the expense of some, because this will not only lighten spirits but also attract visitors to the area. Had the celebration been put off this year this huge amount of profit would have been lost. The turn out will undoubtedly be less than normal, but without this boost to the Big Easy's economy revitalization may have taken a much longer time.

1 comment:

Dock said...

I'm all about looking on the bright side of things, but when it comes to making fun of a tragic event that the city has been complaining about all year, count me out. I'm happy that they are still having Mardi Gras, especially since it will significantly boost the city's and the state's economy, but promoting it as a satirical parade amidst tragedy and grief is beyond me. I understand that they are desperate for tourists and money, but if you are having the biggest party of the year, I think that Americans will show up. Just because the city as a whole didnt lose everything doesn't mean that folks living there are back on their feet. If Katrina had directly affected me, I wouldn't be too happy about the approach that Mardi Gras officials are taking this year. So from an economic stand point, I would focus more on keeping my citizens happy more than those coming just for Mardi Gras.