Sunday, February 12, 2006

Ban on Smoking

Over the summer and during breaks, I work at a highly-stressful job. Many of the people I work with spend a lot of their break time in the designate "smoking gazebo." I don't smoke, but I will be more than happy to spend time with these people. Am I afraid of getting lung cancer? No. Will secondhand smoke hurt me? I doubt it. If you can prove to me that people die of secondhand smoke inhalation, be my guest. First, tell me how you'll do it. No answer for me? I'm not surprised.

People have smoked for years. In my parents's day, you could smoke just about anywhere- even in the movie theaters. Nowadays, you can't smoke in restaurants, hotels, etc. And many non-smokers want to take away every place that people are allowed to smoke. Why? Because they claim smoking kills. Not necessarily the smoker, but the people nearby. Again, prove it.

People spend a lot of money on cigarettes- a pack these days costs about $4 on average. And yet, people continue to smoke. From an economic point of view, this is good. If people want to smoke, they'll pay, which will in turn boost the economy; maybe not a lot, but a boost nonetheless. Smoking is becoming too controlled. If a person walks by me on the street with a cigarette, I promise not to cringe or cough or cast a dirty look.

Smoking isn't the worst thing in this world- anti-smokers need to find something else to whine about.

No comments: