Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Being tall has its benefits!

Does being tall help out more than just being able to reach things on the top shelf? According to economist Steven Landsburg it does. On average, he discovered that for every extra inch of height means an extra thousand dollars in a persons salary. Therefor, if you are 6 feet tall you would earn $6,000 more dollars a year than an equally educated and qualified individual who is only 5'6". Tall height not only plays a roll in the salary one makes but also in leadership roles in our society as well. It is proven that of 43 presidents only 5 have been below average height (the last president below average height was Benjamin Harrison elected in 1988). It has also been proven that most presidents have been above the average height by several inches. So does this mean that short people see tall people as authoritive figures, or just that tall people see themselves as authoritive figures? Could height also have a correlation with better self-esteem or mean that someone is better nourished? I personally think that height plays a very small role in the amount of money made and in leadership ability, but I must admit I can't think of the last "small person" I viewed as a person I should respect because of their size. At the same time, I can think of several extreamly tall people who have walked into a room and I immediatly noticed them, and most likely respected them out of the simple fact that if they wanted to, they could knock me into the ground with their fist by hitting me on the top of my head. Decieding if you think height has a very little impact or a large impact in our society is up to you, but I think I am going to go start growing.

No comments: