Sunday, January 30, 2005

Touchdown Celebrations

I think anyone who is a fan of football knows what this is all about. A few key names may help...T.O., Randy Moss, and the most recent I remember that seemed to go unnoticed Freddie Mitchell.

T.O. has done almost every touchdown celebration you can think of sit-ups, pom-poms, the Ray Lewis dance, sharpie, and middle of the star in Dallas. These are the most well-known.
Does anyone else not see a problem with these?

I am tired of hearing Dan Patrick and every other ESPN Radio broadcaster bash T.O. just because he likes to enjoy himself out there. I am a big Dallas fan (yeah I know too bad for me) but I found T.O. dancing on the star to be quite humorous. If I was that talented in football and couldn't be stopped I would celebrate too. People say that he is embarassing to the league and is a show boat but look at all sports. EVERYONE CELEBRATES! There is trash talk from the professionals all the way down to the high school level. It's just a part of sports.

Next, Randy Moss. Moss was fined in this years playoffs for fake "mooning" the crowd. In my opinion it was hilarious. He was making fun of the Green Bay fans who after the games go out and "moon" the visiting teams bus as they drive off. If Randy Moss can get fined for this display of celebration why can't Packers fans get fined for their celebrations. Couldn't that be indecent exposure or something? It's not like kids don't learn what "mooning" is before they ever enter kindergarten.

Lastly, and my favorite by the way Freddie Mitchell. Being a teammate of T.O. he must have stole his touchdown celebration from his injured teammate. After scoring a touchdown against the Vikings in the playoffs Freddie Mitchell did a reverse "mooning" by reaching down to his ankles and pretending to pull up his pants. I laughed for probably ten good minutes after this display. What I found even more funny is that FOX the television network that shows more than any other wouldn't show the replay of his celebration. Freddie Mitchell made fun of Randy Moss and whether you are a Vikings fan or not you have to admit it was funny.

So what does this have to do with economics? It is putting people in the stands and on their couches in front of the television. I am not all that interested in the playoffs since Dallas didn't get in but I watch the games. Why? Because I want to see the touchdown celebrations. I honestly think the league should be patting these guys on the back. Not only are they doing their job but they are doing it well enough to score touchdowns. They are putting the NFL's name out there.

Like it's been said "bad publicity is better than no publicity."

No comments: