Sunday, February 27, 2005

College Students Expenses/ Bush 2006 Budget/Upward Bound

The heading at the beginning of this article says it all. As college continues to be more expensive every year, after this 2006 budget, college students will be paying more taxes and more for college. It is difficult enough to pay for college expenses today, never mind if the points from the article actually take into effect. I believe it is hardest for the middle class to pay for college because they are over the levels where they can receive government monies such as the FAFSA, yet they don't have nearly enough money to pay for a full college education. I know this is true because for my family, FAFSA and Marietta College tells us that since last year - when I used to receive some money from the FAFSA - that this year my family has made over the limit to still receive government money. HOWEVER, even if my family had taken every single penny that was made more than the previous year and given it to the college, it still would not be enough to pay for what was taken away from me this year.
After reading this article, I predict that should these points take into effect, many students will not be able to afford to go to college at all. I believe for enrollment purposes, colleges as well as students should be worried about this. While grants and loans are very important to me as well when it comes to college, I would also like to comment on the fact of the Upward Bound Programs paragraph. In 2006, with this budget, the Trio programs, including Upward Bound would be eliminated. For those of you who know what Upward Bound is, it can be very influential to students to attend college. I know that there are quite a few students on this campus that are here with the help of their Upward Bound or Talent Search programs, myself included. By eliminating these programs, you are taking away students with great potential to succeed in college and due to cuts in funding programs such as this as well as the increases in funding a college education, college seems to be becoming a commodity only for those who can afford to pay their entire tuition on their own.

No comments: