Friday, March 09, 2007

Take My Emissions, Please

This article speaks on the move our society is making towards taking care of our environment, slowing global warming, and companies that allow us to offset our carbon emissions. I considered myself a bit of an environmentalist until I read this article and realized there is so much more I can do. We as economists should really invest in our future by buying such things as "green tags" and "Eco-options." I know that a popular excuse these days in not going towards environmentally friendly products is the price, but in the long run we're saving ourselves money and other costs down the road. I would rather buy an energy-saving light bulb now for $10 a bulb (that mind you, lasts around 7 years) than suffer from lung ailments in the future when we have polluted our environment so much. This article reminded me that we must keep looking for ways to fix what damage we've already done. Wind Turbines [in New Zealand] like the ones pictured at the beginning of this article can also be found in Cleveland. Why aren't we using wind and water power more to offset the burning of coal [a non-renewable resource]? This is the first that I've heard of options like the "green tags." I hope that these tactics become more popular among commuters, air-travelers, etc.

No comments: