Thursday, March 08, 2007

Caffeine Labels

Will Caffeine Labels on soda increase the sale of Coco-Cola Classic (the lowest caffeine content listed in the article) or increase the sale of coffee, Full Throttle, and Tab Energy (the highest caffeine contents listed in the article)? Yes, caffeine effects people differently depending on their age, weight, metabolism, etc., but I think we should know by now whether it is actually good or bad for us. I consider it bad for me. I actually more consider soda bad for me because it makes me feel sick and sluggish. Others, such as my boyfriend, can't eat a meal without a Mountain Dew or can't wake up in the morning without a caffeinated drink. I guess the labels will change sales depending on the customers. Are there more people that consider caffeine good or bad?

3 comments:

Jessica Tucker said...

I think that despite the bad, after effects of caffeine, a lot of people do things for the short-term pleasure(although I do not think this way either.) I think that, that is what our world is becoming. Another example of this is drugs. People aren't in it for the long-term after effects, they are in it for the short-term effects, even if they know the long-term effects. Some people are becoming less and less future oriented when it comes to their health and one reason is they see so many other people do it, who seem just fine. I think it does depend on the people as to how they read the label and whether they like caffeine or not, but I think for the most part it is going to attract people

krysten12 said...

No matter what the effects of caffeine provide, all labels should provide the amount of caffeine in the product. Companies can get in major trouble if they falsify the ingredients listed in their products to make it sell better. As for my own personal opinion, intaking a large of amount of caffeine each day builds up your tolerance so that after each day, you need to ingest more caffeine to get the same effect as the day before. This is just like our drug problem, in which uses become dependent on the drug. I don't think that caffeine is in the same boat as cocaine or heroin, but it is definitely something to keep in the back of our heads.

Jiang said...

As far as I am concerned, Caffeine Labels on soda is considered as a substitutes of Coco-Cola Classic, which means it will not increase the sale of Coco-Cola Classic. However, the overall sales of Coke products will probably be increased. My point of view is based on the following reasons. First, customers who prefer caffeine might choose caffeine cola other than classic, which might decrease the sales the classic; But the entire sales of coke product will not change. Second, customers who like classic but do not like caffeine will still choose classic, which do not have any influence on the sales of classic. Third, customers who do not like coke product might choose caffeine coke because of the caffeine. And that will increase the sales of coke product with no doubt.