Friday, December 01, 2006

Texts When Love is Close

"Match-making companies are creating new services that allow people to post their dating profile online and then automatically receive a text message on a GPS-enabled phone when a match is nearby, say, at a coffee shop around the corner." As the article opens up by saying, online dating has evolved again. As if resorting to finding a date online wasn't bad enough, now there are mobile phone alerts for when a romantic match is physically close by you. I think that this sort of technology will open up many doors for misuse and even abuse. For me personally, I think it would make me uncomfortable to know that someone knows that im their potential romantic match, and im sitting at Starbucks around the corner from them. To me, this would seem to be a sort of invasion of privacy!

1 comment:

katiedickson said...

Wow, as if facebook wasn't enough...Technology in today's society is getting out of control. I guess I might be old fashioned, but there is something about the fate that brings two people together to form happiness, isn't there? Since when is a cell phone/tracking device even remotely comparable to fate?