Friday, December 01, 2006

The Hidden Dangers of Seatbelts

My mom has always told me to wear my seatbelt in the car, ever since I was old enough to hear it. Even the family doctor asks me if I always wear my seatbelt when i ride in cars. Obviously there are many beneficial pluses to wearing a seatbelt. There also seems to information on how seat belts can be potentialy damaging as well. In this case we have to weigh the gains and losses and continue to wear seat belts. " [A] driver will also be adjusting his behavior in response to what he perceives are changes in risks. If he is wearing a seat belt and his car has front and side air bags and anti-skid brakes to boot, he may in turn drive a bit more daringly. " This is the point that the article is making. Seatbelts give people a false sense of security that they should not take for granted.

No comments: