Tuesday, December 07, 2004

IBM Quits the PC Business

Like most people out there, I too was first introduced to the personal computer world through the handiwork of IBM. I remember having a friend who had one of those really old Apple computers...The one with the dark green screens; but I wanted something better and at that time, IBM was the only one that offered any options. Nowadays all kinds of PC producers have emerged, including names like HP, Compaq, Dell, Gateway, Sony, etc... IBM was the first to ever make a portable computing device when it introduced its ThinkPad to the technology world. It's so hard to believe that a technological pioneer like IBM would throw in the towel after all these years of work with PCs. I guess it's to be expected though since companies like Dell have come in and offered so much more product for the money. I was just recently looking up some PC information for my parents because they wanted to buy a new computer over the holidays. I compared three PCs: Dell, HP, and IBM. The Dell was much less than IBM and only slightly cheaper than HP. I have to say that even the outside appearance of the Dell and HP would have made me want to buy them over the IBM. I suppose this might be the reason why IBM's PC sales (about 10% of total) have seen losses over the past years. The ticket price isn't cheap (at $1-$2 Billion), but like the article said, it would be a great way for some smaller named computer groups to better compete against PC giants like Dell. Goodbye IBM, and thanks again for the PC.

No comments: