Thursday, December 09, 2004

Cingular and AT&T Combine

There had been rumors circulating about the merger of Cingular and AT&T. Obviously, I would be slightly interested because I am an AT&T wireless customer. One day a couple weeks ago, I received a letter and a large pamphlet in the mail. The letter told me that nothing had changed on my account and that the merger was complete. The large pamphlet told all about what Cingular and AT&T customers now receive and then all the new phones and great offers you can switch to for extra money. I am satisfied with what I have, but just out of curiosity I visited their web site(attached) and clicked on "I am an AT&T Wireless customer". First I learned that I now have access to the Cingular Allover Network, which is supposed to give me better coverage, because it's a bigger network. I also have unlimited mobile to mobile, which is the largest network of 46 million customers and I am eligible for Cingular's rollover minutes to name a few changes. Now all of this stuff sounds wonderful but I have always been a bit skeptical. As I read further, I found out that if I want all these new great things, all I have to do is call and change my plan. I am sure that would increase my payments. As I have learned in Econ all these recent mergers could be a negative thing for consumers. Sure this sounds like a great thing now, but what about in the long run. If they begin to monopolize the market, then what? In a few months will my bill go up a few dollars. No doubt, if it did they would claim it would be for my benefit. So they could offer more wonderful services. What do you think? Do you believe that customers will benefit from this merger or not? I guess time will tell for sure.

No comments: