Monday, December 06, 2004

Free Ipod - Scam or No?

Okay, I got this thing about a free ipod (http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=12744069
) and I was wondering about it. Supposedly it works - you sign up, refer 5 people who sign up, and complete one offer, like a free trial of diet pills. Supposedly, you can cancel the diet pill trial just before the free trial ends, and avoid at least the majority of fees, but still get credit for it. A friend of mine did this, and it actually worked for him. He checked the serial number and it is legit and everything.

But what about the old adage, "If it sounds too good to be true, it is"? (AKA TANSTAFL - remember that? There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.) And what are the economics of it? Seriously, how do they make money if they give it away for free? My guess is that their sponsors (the people you have to sign up for an offer with) pay a lot of money for the advertisement they receive, thus Ipod makes money still.

1 comment:

Greg Delemeester said...

I bought into the Ipod referral scheme. You can see my referral link in the upper right corner of the MariettaEcon frontpage. My brother-in-law referred me (I signed up for some credit card--which I promptly stored in some deep and dark place, never to use at all) and now I'm looking for 5 people to use me as a referral. The whole deal does indeed sound operate as a Ponzi scheme whereby those who get in first generally benefit over those who come in later (sounds like Social Security!).