Thursday, October 07, 2004

The world's freest economy?

This past summer I taught a couple of classes in Hong Kong---wow, what a city! Even though it has officially rejoined China after spending 99 years under British rule, Hong Kong remains one of the closest examples of a free market economy the world has--arguably more free than even the United States. The city is full of entrepreneurs of all types. Walking the streets of Hong Kong, I was approached by numerous salesmen offering copy watches, tailor services, and, shall I say, personal services of questionable morality. One sales pitch that I did succumb to was reflexology, aka, foot massage. Though it looks like I'm having a pleasant experience, the end result was actually a bit painful.

For more pictures of my trip to Hong Kong, click here.

No comments: